Live-cell imaging makes it easier for educators to convey cell biology knowledge and skills to students in a meaningful and efficient manner. The portable and easy-to-use CytoSMART Lux2 live-cell imager helps to solve many issues teachers face in their work.
Cell biology teachers face an ever-growing amount of content that must be taught to an increasing number of students in a limited period of time.
- Time - Limited time and resources to teach a growing library of theory to students.
- Interaction - Extensive theory time causes a lack of interactions and project work to establish collaborative skills.
- Capacity - Increasing student numbers with finite resources.
- Lab skills - Limited time to implement and understand the theory covered in practice.
- Budget - Limited funding to look for solutions.
Give students real time insight in what is happening with the cells.
Advantages for the students
Practical laboratory skills for cell culturing
- Time-lapse visualization of dynamic biological processes
- Remote data accessibility with a smartphone or laptop outside the lab
- Collaborative learning by project sharing with classmates or other student groups
Advantages for the teachers
Efficient teaching of various subjects through kinetic imaging such as seeding density, cell migration, dividing cells, morphology changes, and more
- A cost-effective, portable device can be easily transported to different locations
- Fits in every incubator because of its size
- Secure online storage included
How to use in your classroom
The CytoSMART Lux2 can be integrated into routine cell culture protocols. After the cells are seeded into a culture vessel, the vessel can be placed on the Lux2 sample stage inside the incubator at 37 ⁰C and 5% CO2. The vessels do not have to be taken out of the incubator for timepoint measurements. Data is remotely accessible on devices such as laptops and smartphones. In this way, the experiment's results can be discussed among peers in the classroom via the cloud. This saves lots of time and makes the time management of different student groups easier, they can make rational decisions, based on e.g. culture confluency, on when it's time to go to the lab again for further steps.
Since the Lux2 live-cell imager is small, it does not take up more space than three stacked T-175 flasks, little incubator space is needed. Consider using a few Lux2 devices side-by-side when teaching large groups.
Student assignment examples
Study cell biology with CytoSMART Lux2 live-cell imager
Click on the link below and download 12 examples of various student assignments you can perform in a lab and/or classroom thanks to live-cell imaging:
- Culture conditions [temperature, environment, substrates, contamination]
- Cell behavior [aging, cell death, migration]
- Cell culture optimization [subculturing, passing point, cell density]
- Research specific [cytotoxicity, molecular concentration]
Click on the link below and download the brochure containing an overview of how the Lux2 can contribute to current educational programs and its consequential benefits for both students and teachers.
CytoSMART Lux2 Duo kit
Create time-lapse videos of cell cultures
Keep cultures in an optimized environment
monitor growth speed
Real time updates help you to perfectly time subculturing